Another week means another blog about my Top 5s of the week. Before I share what I’m loving this week I also wanted to mentioned something that happened this past week. As I was cleaning up I found two old notebooks, (if you can’t tell already I love writing things down) and one of them happen to have a page filled with my 2015 resolutions. Last week I wrote about the resolutions I had a few years ago but now I can assess my accomplishments for the past year.
Reflecting back I unknowingly accomplished almost all the resolutions I set for myself. My first resolution was to graduate and I accomplished that with honors. My second resolution was to move out and have my own place. While I technically did not “move out” of my home, I have my own studio apartment down stairs and so much more privacy and independence. I also pay rent that comes along with that independence while still remaining close to my family which is nice.
I also wrote down that I wanted to go on new adventures and meet new people this year which I absolutely did. I met a whole new group of friends who are accepting of everything and experienced so many memories like my Playa Del Fuego venture. I also mentioned how I was going to try to be more positive and happy this year. Though I had many ups and downs, overall my mental health is better than it was last year thanks to the help of psychiatry, counseling, friends, family, and my perseverance to not succumb and letting myself stay at a low point.
Lastly, I made a resolution to be myself with no apologies. I am still working on this one and may be forever trying to be comfortable in my own skin, but I definitely have made some headway. This year I never apologized for who I am rather tried to be myself without having the need of validation. I may have lost touch with people in the process but that’s part of soul searching and figuring out what is right for yourself.
I am so excited for what resolutions I will have for 20016 but that will probably come with another blog. Moving on here are the Top 5s of the week.
- Flannel– This week I had purchased my new favorite flannel shirt from TJmaxx. It’s green with long sleeves and is super long like a tunic. I don’t usually do button up shirts due to boob gap ( ladies know what I’m talking about), but this one is not too bad. It’s super comfortable, casual, and makes me feel sexy without trying.
- Ramen– Oh Ramen. Friend or Foe? I don’t quite know. Earlier this week I found myself eating way too much Ramen for my own good. Though I do not drink the broth without some things added to it such as an egg or roasted seaweed it’s still addicting. I even had it this week raw which was surprisingly crunchy and delicious like a tortilla chip. I learned that Ramen is not technically raw since it is fried before its’s packaged so it cooks faster. Even though ramen is super delicious it is recommended to limit it’s consumption to at the very most once a week. I think I went a little overboard this week but I am aware and will try to limit how much I eat of this delicious treat.
- Home remedies– Does anyone else’s scalp acts up when the season’s change? In between season’s my scalp suddenly has a terrible build up of dandruff. Last season I was using a medicated shampoo and though it worked it really killed my locks. This season I have been trying some home remedies such as aloe gel and apple cider vinegar. Though it has not completely cured my dandruff it really helps and makes my hair feel amazing. The apple cider vinegar not only prevents the build up of dandruff but also leaves your hair feeling clean and with a healthy shine. Twice a week I apply apple cider vinegar to my scalp with a little spray bottle, let it sit for 15 minutes and then rinse it out. Another remedy I have tried is Aloe Gel. I apply the product to my scalp and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes. It soothes the itchy scalp and moisturizes your hair. I do this about once a week. Give it a try if you are having the same issue.
- Skin Care– In the last 2 or 3 years skincare has become a top priority in my health and beauty routine. I tend to wash my face once a day depending on if I am wearing make up or not. I also have severely dry skin and try to moisturize without over moisturizing my skin to prevent breakouts. I usually use First Aid beauty skin cleanser followed by an anti aging oil and a moisturizer. This last week however my skincare has been adjusted and for the better. While X-mas shopping I picked a mini skincare set from The Body Shop. It came with a cream cleanser, a moisturizing toner, and a day and separate night cream. I can not express into words how amazing these products are. The cream cleaner is not my favorite but it does moisturize my skin. The toner is like magic. It removes any left over makeup that the cleanser did not get and preps my skin for the moisturizer. I tend to wash my face at night so I mostly use the night cream which is thick and moisturizing without being greasy. When I do wash my face in the morning or need a little extra hydration for my face the day cream works just as well with a lighter application. My skin is loving these products and I would recommend them to anyone who has very dry skin like myself.
- Star Wars The Force Awakens– I know….I KNOW! The hype going around this movie right now is huge and to some unbearable. But to those who love Star Wars its’s a big deal. This movie did not disappoint. It was funny, action packed, and lined up perfectly with the other previous films. It was truly a surprising sequel that was progressive and innovative using a female lead and a African American co-star in a white male dominated industry. I would highly advise those to watch this movie. It’s pretty epic.
I am concluding this blog letting you know to expect two new blogs this week…maybe even three..but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. If you like reading my posts make sure to follow me to stay up to date or check in regularly. I will be posting again soon. Thanks again for reading.